Blog Room in Happy Days

This room is Happy Days' blog. Let's enjoy reading!!

Thursday, June 22

Advice to University Students about Teaching in Japanese Junior High Schools

Today, I listened to Mr.M's lecture. He is a teacher in Japanese Junior High Schools. His lecture benefited me. The contents of the lecture are as follows. First, the important things for teachers are smiles, greetings, responsibility and common sense. I also think so because stern visages hold off children and if we keep quiet, they will make (mental) walls toward us and we may have our own way but for responsibility. Second, we learned the difference between elementary schools and junior high schools. I think it is the expert knowledge they have, for example, if they are elementary school teachers, they must have knowledge of all subjects, but if they are junior high school teachers, they don't have to do, in other words, it is enough to have knowledge of only one. And another is the length of the time they come in contact with children, I think. He said it was how to move students, this was the most important. Next, I learned the important things for class. He said it was setting goals the most. I also think so because we can let them know the contents of the class and it goes on wheels. So, here I sum up my main points for readers.
1) Smiles---because these relax children.
2) Greetings---because they open themselves to others.
3) Responsibility---so that we don't trouble teachers.
4) Common sense---so that we can answer when they question.
5) Setting goals---so that we show them the things they should do.
My image of Japanese Junior High Schools is very quiet. As they are shy, they seldom speak. So, I think it is important to make circumstances they can speak. And another is a little active, for they enjoy because English is the subject they haven't experienced yet. So, they are eager to study English. Of course, his students, I watched the video, were getting down to studying English, too. His class was very interesting for me. For example, I was impressed that he used HG's "フォー" to teach "who~?". I think this interests them in it and I want to imitate this.
Finally, dear Mr.M, thank you for lecturing to us today.

7 Comments:

Blogger JH said...

Dear Happy Days,
I always enjoy reading your blog and I really appreciate the enthusiasm you show every week for blogging.
Your post was very informative and you mentioned some important points from Mr. M's lecture that I did not realize. I have a couple of comments for you to make you post even better!
First, I would like you to write to an AUDIENCE. For example, if your audience is university students you can title your post "Advice to University Students about Teaching in a Japanese Junior High School." (Unfortunately, most people will not understand the abbreviation JJHS).
If you AUDIENCE is ALTs then your title could be "Advice to ALTs about Teaching in Junior High School".
In this blogging task, I am not asking for a summary of Mr. M's lecture. Rather, I want you to use what you have learned from Mr. M and also from your own experience and give people advice.
This morning, I wrote some advice to ALTS based on Mr. M's lecture and my own experience. You can read the post by going to my personal blog.

23 June, 2006 11:23  
Blogger JH said...

Wow, what a well-written post! I think that Mr. M gave a lot of practical advice in his lecture.
This is a controversial thing to say, but if there was a gay student in the class, how do you think he/she would feel about HG's "フォー!"?

23 June, 2006 15:10  
Blogger aNne said...

sounds like you learned a lot from Mr. M. it is important for YOU to have role models like Mr. M, because soon YOU will be a teacher and a role model for YOUR students! :) keep up the great attitude! nice blog!

28 June, 2006 21:47  
Blogger happy days said...

Hello, Ms.Anne. Thank you for coming to and commenting on my blog. As you said, I want to keep up my attitude. And I'd like to be a role model for my students like Mr.M!! Thank you very much for your advice.

29 June, 2006 18:11  
Blogger cheesecake said...

Hello, Happy Days. I'm cheesecake. I enjoy reading your blog every time. I think that we learned a lot of things from Mr.M's lecture and ETM3. Our practice teaching is coming, and we will be busy about it. But let's try hard each other! Thank you.

30 June, 2006 19:37  
Blogger happy days said...

Hello, Cheesecake. Thank you for coming to my blog. I also think we learned a lot. So, we have to make the most of class that we have learned and achieve the teaching practice. Let's do our best together!! Thanks.

03 July, 2006 13:36  
Blogger Steve Jang said...

Hello. I am an ALT in Iwate prefecture. I would like to comment on your post, which was very well-written.

I liked your wording in your outline of Mr. M's lecture. It's the first time I ever encountered "...stern visages hold off children..." but the mental image your sentence creates is very vivid. And I also liked how you wrote that the lesson "goes on wheels" when teachers set goals and let the students know those goals. Very imaginative!

Your summary of the main points was also very succinct and right on. Especially "4)Common sense---so that we can answer when they question." It's difficult to describe common sense in brief terms. And to describe why it's important for a teacher to have, and in such brief and easy-to-understand words. Very well done! "So that we can answer when they question." I'm going to remember this one!

A comment on your image of junior high school students. Yes, many are quiet. Many are shy. Many seldom speak. All true. But sometimes, no matter what a teacher does, he or she can do nothing about this. Besides, I don't think it's bad at all to be quiet. I'm actually a very quiet person myself! It's just different personalities. And teachers need to understand what personalities students have. Learn what teaching methods work with some students and which don't work. Don't force a student to do something that doesn't appeal to them. Teachers need to realize that students can succeed at English without being the most talkative people of sorts. Some students take time to warm up to people. Sometimes years! And also, students tend to become more talkative as they graduate from 1st to 2nd to 3rd graders.

When you become a teacher, are you sure you want to imitate HG? Maybe by then he won't be popular anymore. BTW, where is Guitar Samurai nowadays???

Thanks for your time.

13 July, 2006 17:51  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home